- What is it made of – is it renewable or scarce?
- What processing did it undergo – was this polluting or energy intensive?
- How far did it come – was there a lot of road transport involved? Stone from India and China does not count the carbon footprint until the stone reaches the UK port.
- What effect will it have on those installing in and those using the building?
- Does it require a lot of maintenance that may be environmentally damaging?
- What will happen to it at the end of its useful life?
- Does it have a unique positive function that over-rides its environmental impacts?
- Is there a better option?