Chris Johnstone RIAS Energy Design Certifier
Chris Johnstoneis a RIAS Energy Design Certifier for domestic buildings. To meet the Government’s Housing Energy Standards clients need an Energy Design Adviser. Chris is a highly qualified professional and a member of a scheme approved by the Scottish Government. Chris can certify as part of a wider design service or certify the design of others as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Chris can also produce and register Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) within the same quality assurance environment. All work on housing projects that require a building warrant, such as new build projects, extensions or refurbishments, must meet the requirement of the Section 6 (Energy) Scottish Building Standards. However, calculating energy use is complex and is becoming more specialised. Chris can help building owners and developers by guiding them through the process of demonstrating compliance tomeet these energy standards and can issue Certificates of Design which provide assurance of compliance.A Section 6 Energy Design Certificate will:
- speed the warrant application process,
- give confidence that the home in question fully complies with the regulations,
- deliver particular benefits for historic or traditional homes.
It can also save client’s money:
- lodging a Certificate with the warrant gives a 10% saving on the warrant application fee,
- Chris can advise on changes to the building specification as the work progresses without having to wait for the local authority’s comments,
- Chris can provide Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) for new dwellings which are compliant with the Energy Performance of Buildings (Scotland) Regulations. Failure to provide a compliant EPC on completion is an offence.